40. Light the Way
- Start in Norwalk and board the ferry for a tour of the Sheffield Island Lighthouse.
- Enjoy a picnic lunch from Jimmy's of Savin Rock (order in advance) at Lighthouse Point in New Haven and savor the history of maritime Connecticut with a visit to Black Rock Fort and Fort Nathan Hale.
- Following U.S. 1 north to Branford, and head down to the water to ride the mail boat and learn the history of the Thimble Islands.
- I-95 north will lead you to the shopping outlets in Clinton and Westbrook. For a real treat, have dinner at one of the many seafood restaurants on route 1.
- Look out to the Sound from the Lynde Point Lighthouse in Old Saybrook.
- Visit the Crystal Mall in Waterford for a "lighting" experience.
- Cruise around New London Ledge Lighthouse and see if you can spot the local ghost.
- Just east of Mystic is Stonington village where fresh fish is caught daily and you can climb to the top of the Stonington Lighthouse Museum.
DRIVING TIP: Approximate driving distance between furthest points (1 & 8) is 107 miles.
For places to stay and other things to do nearby, click on any highlighted place.