39. Covered Ground
- Put on your jeans and sneakers and head for farm country. At Bloomfield’s 4-H Farm Resource Center, I-91 Exit 35 or I-84 Exit 41, you’ll find everything from barnyard animals to modern biotechnology on a 120 acre working farm. Fly over to Sky Endeavors for a hot air balloon ride over the beautiful Farmington River Valley. When you get back to earth, wander through the 222 wooded acres at Wilcox Park in Bloomfield.
- Overnight nearby and next morning continue your adventure with a visit to Old New-Gate Prison & Copper Mine, I-91 Exilt 40 in East Granby. Explore the tunnels and mine shafts where the Connecticut Colony kept its prisoners in the late 1700?s. Bring your golf clubs for a relaxing 9 holes at nearby Fox Run at Copper Hill Country Club.
- Then the clang clang clang of an antique streetcar at the Connecticut Trolley Museum, Rte. 140 in East Windsor. One fare gives you unlimited rides on a variety of restored trolleys.
- Stay an extra day and try and catch a professional polo game at Shallowbrook Equestrian Center, I-91 Exit 47 E in Somers,
- or spend the day with Mother Nature at the Northwest Park and Nature Center, I-91 Exit 38 in Windsor. With more than eight miles of trails, a maple sugaring house, animal barn and cross-country ski rental center the 450 acres hold some real natural find!
DRIVING TIP: Approximate driving distance between furthest points (1 & 5) is 28 miles.
For places to stay and other things to do nearby, click on any highlighted place.