27. Adventures in Twain’s Time
- Bring your bathing suits and head for one of America’s first amusement parks, Lake Compounce Family Theme Park, Bristol, I-84 Exit 31. It’s been the place to go since Mark Twain’s days, but it’s better than ever with spectacular water rides and slides.
- Drive over to the New England Air Museum, Windsor Locks, I-91 Exit 22 and take in the history of flight from hot air ballons to modern jets.
- Check in to a Hartford hotel (with a pool, of course) and be right in the middle of all the fun. Cruise the Connecticut River aboard the Lady Katherine Cruises, departing from Hartford’s spectacular Riverfront Plaza, where Mark Twain and his family started many an adventure.
- Spend a day with the dinosaurs at Dinosaur State Park, Rocky Hill, I-91 Exit 23 where you can actually make plaster casts of dinosaur tracks.
DRIVING TIP: Total mileage from 1 to 4 is 55 miles.
For places to stay and other things to do nearby, click on any highlighted place.