15. Turn Back the Clock
- Here’s a great getaway for lovers of old things. Start out by heading up Rte. 8 to the Seymour Antiques Center. You’ll find 80 dealers in historic buildings and a treasure trove of antiques and collectables.
- Then head up to Waterbury and learn about the fascinating history of Connecticut’s ‘Brass City’ at the Mattatuck Museum.
- Book a room, enjoy a pleasant repast and then take in a show at the Thomaston Opera House.
- Next day, be sure to spend some time at the Timexpo: The Timex Museum in Waterbury. It’s all about time.
- Go from clocks to locks, east on I-84 to Cheshire and the restored Lock #12 on the Farmington Canal (1828-48) and a relaxing stroll on the hike/bike trail.
- Continue east on I-84 Exit 35 to the New Britain Museum of American Art to see a truly outstanding collection of our nation’s best including Benton, Church, Cole, Sargent, Whistler, Wyeth and more.
DRIVING TIP: Approximate driving distance between 1 & 3 are 38 miles.
For places to stay and other things to do nearby, click on any highlighted place.