51. Adventure in Time Travel
- Travel back to the 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th Centuries. Start out at the Mashantucket Pequot Museum & Research Center in Mashantucket, I-95 Exit 92. It brings to life the Native American and natural history of New England.
- Enter the 17th Century by dining at Randall’s Ordinary, Rte. 2 in North Stonington, a colonial wayside inn and tap room that feature authentic 17th Century hearth cooking. Spend the night there.
- Next day, move into the 18th Century with a walk through the historic fishing village of Stonington, home to the last of Connecticut’s fishing fleets. Be sure to visit the Old Lighthouse Museum while there.
- Then enter the 19th Century by taking U.S.1 A to Mystic Seaport, the Museum of America and the Sea.
- Next day head for Hartford and the Victorian Age, best typified by the Mark Twain House, I-84 Exit 46, a glorious example of Victorian living with interiors by Louis Tiffany. Bring your time travels to a close with dinner in Victorian style at Hartford’s J.P. Morgan Restaurant.
DRIVING TIPS: The total driving distance between (1) and (2) is 18 miles.
For places to stay and other things to do nearby, click on any highlighted place.