27. Adventures in Twain’s Time
- Bring your bathing suits and head for one of America’s first amusement parks, Lake Compounce Family Theme Park, Bristol, I-84 Exit 31. It’s been the place to go since Mark Twain’s days, but it’s better than ever with spectacular water rides and slides.
- Drive over to the New England Air Museum, Windsor Locks, I-91 Exit 22 and take in the history of flight from hot air ballons to modern jets.
- Check in to a Hartford hotel (with a pool, of course) and be right in the middle of all the fun. Cruise the Connecticut River on the triple-deck riverboat Mark Twain, departing from Hartford’s spectacular Riverfront Plaza, where Mark Twain and his family started many an adventure.
- Spend a day with the dinosaurs at Dinosaur State Park, Rocky Hill, I-91 Exit 23 where you can actually make plaster casts of dinosaur tracks.
DRIVING TIP: Total mileage from 1 to 4 is 55 miles.
For places to stay and other things to do nearby, click on any highlighted place.