14. Shore, Sights & Seafood
- Start this getaway with a visit to picturesque Stony Creek, I-95 Exit 56, and a cruise around the storybook Thimble Islands.
- Then go east on scenic Rte. 146 to historic Guilford and visit the Henry Whitfield State Museum (1639), the oldest stone house in New England. Dine in elegance on the Town Green or head east on U.S. 1 for some lobster in the rough.
- A few miles up the road you’ll find the bargains at Clinton Crossing Premium Outlets, Rte. 81, and Westbrook Factory Outlets, Rte. 153.
- Tour the refurbished Gillette Castle (reopening in summer 2002) then do dinner and a show at the Gelston House and Goodspeed Opera House in East Haddam, Rte. 82.
- Next day, take a sightseeing excursion on the Essex Steam Train and Riverboat, Rte. 154,
- then browse the shops in the quintessential New England villages of Essex and Chester.
DRIVING TIP: Approximate driving distance between 1 & 6 are 48 miles.
For places to stay and other things to do nearby, click on any highlighted place.