11. Old Fashioned Fun
- Get away from the hustle and bustle of your daily routine with a visit to Allegra Farm & Horse-Drawn Carriage & Sleigh Museum, Rte. 82, East Haddam. Take a ride on an old fashioned horse-drawn carriage pulled by magnificent horses. You’ll enjoy their historic and educational programs.
- Venture over to East Hampton to the Comstock Covered Bridge on Rte. 16. You can walk across it and have a picnic lunch on the banks of the scenic Salmon River.
- Drive Rte. 80 West towards Stony Creek and take a boat ride through the Thimble Islands. Enjoy a personal narration of the islands’ rich history, dating back to 1614.
- Make a reservation at a comfortable luxurious inn or B&B in Madison.
- Venture back to East Haddam for dinner at the Gelston House then catch a performance at Goodspeed Opera House, where nationally acclaimed musicals are performed in a historic Victorian theater on the Connecticut River.
- Next morning head to the nearby outlets, Clinton Crossing Premium Outlets,
- and Westbrook Factory Outlets,
- or head over to Bittersweet Farm in Branford, where you’ll discover high-quality handmade items displayed in shops and galleries in a country atmosphere.
DRIVING TIP: Approximate driving distance between furthest points (1 to is 33 miles.
For places to stay and other things to do nearby, click on any highlighted place.